Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Sam Update - Twenty One Months Old

Click for pictures! 


 

Samantha just hit the big 1.75.  Okay, so now I know what people mean about the time going quickly.  Sam's first 10 months went by so slowly, but all of a sudden she is almost 2 years old - that's crazy! 

 

Walking really jump started Sam's development.  As Dr. Suess observes, walking and thinking are connected:

"You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself

any direction you choose."


Since we moved I've been able to entertain Sam just by taking her outside to roam about since it is a new place to her.  I enjoy observing what will attract her attention.  She likes flowers, manholes, trees, squirrels, any kind of water, and license plates.  But I think she mostly just loves the independence of moving around as she pleases.

 

Sam loves music right now.  We know what music to play for her because if she likes something she'll dance, but if she doesn't she'll cover her ears.  Her dancing is so cute - sort of a cross between an orchestra conductor and a jazz musician snapping his fingers with his elbows tucked in to his body.  If she's really loving it, she'll turn in circles until she is dizzy.  Even though Sam still doesn't talk (just a word here and there), she can sing.  Adam and I have independently identified certain tunes she will sing, although it's usually just a few notes.  Other times we hear no tune, but it still sounds like sweet music to us.  Today we bought her a 37 key electronic keyboard since she is obsessed with the piano.

 

I'm quite surprised to see Sam playing with figurines in a way that looks like imaginary play.  She'll take two figures, say a horse and a cow, and make one bite the other (while she growls), and then make them kiss (while she makes the kissy noise), and then make them walk around together and all kinds of other stuff I don't understand.  She favors two figures at a time and they always interact, and she seems to narrate the whole thing in her adorable toddler-babble.  I don't know what is in her head, but she loves this kind of play.

 

Adam is having a great time roughhousing with Sam.  He flips her and throws her and rolls around the floor with her.  I don't think there is anything that makes Sam laugh as much as that kind of play with her dad.  Oh, and what a laugh!  I've got to get out that video camera before that laugh changes.

 

Bumps and bruises are a normal part of Sam's life now, as we try not to interfere unless there is serious danger.  After riding an elephant back in March, Sam rode her first horse a couple of months ago.  We continue to try to expose her to new things as much as possible.  With a few exceptions (and those are doozies), most everything we do is just so much more fun with Samantha.  We spent close to an hour walking a quarter mile with her the other day and we weren't bored at all.  Tonight we all walked around outside in the rain.  We've been careful not to make a big deal out of getting wet in the rain, and to show her how cool it is to see water coming from the sky, and what do you know - Sam loves the rain and doesn't mind getting wet.  She even danced to the thunder.

 

We're thinking about putting Sam in day care a few half days a week so that I can work on my new project - freelance writing.  It will probably take me many months to get anything published, but I hope to make this my next career.  This blog is my exercise - my way of writing on a regular basis while I'm pitching ideas and hoping for an assignment.  When Sam is three we plan to enroll her in a Montessori preschool for three years, and if I can manage to build a solid part-time writing career by the end of that time, I'll home school her.  That's the plan.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Amy,

    What a great plan! I'm partial to homeschooling, as you know, and I think you'll find it as rewarding as I have this past year. I wish you the best with that and your new career path.

    I know what you mean about playing with figurines. When Leo was about two years old, (he's now five) his fascination with them seemed to extend to carrying as many as his little hands would possibly allow without dropping them. But then eventually he would drop one, realize it in a sort of delayed way, bend over to pick it up (all the while his hands are still full) and in the process of picking it up, drop another one. And then the process would repeat all over again... oh, how I laughed (silently) watching him learn (finally) to set down the other figurines before picking up the one he dropped, and then scoop them all up again. He would walk around the house all day with them. I'd find figurines behind books, in his pockets, tucked between pillows and cushions, and one time I opened the pantry door to find a little family sitting at attention right next to the canned goods. I miss those little surprises.

    I haven't seen the same fascination with figurines in our 3 year old daughter, Kira. She seems to gravitate more towards her dollies and blankies. Now I'm hoping for one more chance to enjoy the wonderful world of figurines with our 6 month old, Jack. The day I open the pantry or a sock drawer and find a little family carefully placed in view, I will smile and know that, for a little while at least, I'm back in my little one's miniature world.

    Over the years I've accumulated quite a collection of Christmas villages; the latest being the Rudolph collection from the 1960's tv show. I guess in some ways it helps carry on both my children's and my love of miniatures... seeing their eyes light up when we plug in the village lights that first time each Christmas. It's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete