Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Anticipation

A couple of years ago I thought I was very astute when I observed that being pregnant was like being a kid on Christmas Eve for 9 months straight - I loved knowing that there was magic going on behind the scenes, and the anticipation of meeting my baby was thrilling.

 

What I never considered is that the magic and anticipation don't end once your child is born.  Sam is here now and I get to be with her every day.  She is more wonderful than I could ever have imagined.  And yet, I still get the thrill of anticipation because she is always changing.  I get to watch this amazing person grow up, and I have no idea what is coming next.  Being a parent is like Christmas morning forever.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely right. I don't have any children, but since I've started working with them, I've been overwhelmed by a similar feeling. I look at all these children in my classroom growing, developing, learning to love and interact with the world for the first time and I can't imagine how any parent could not care deeply about their child. How can some of the parents I see treat their children as an afterthought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man o' Steele, do you really see a lot of parents who treat their children as an afterthought? What is the evidence for that? I ask because now that I am a parent I understand parental behavior better and am less quick to judge, and I wonder if you're jumping to conclusions. I hope, anyway.

    ReplyDelete