Friday, June 20, 2008

Misanthropy

"Jerk!" I said out loud in my car.  It had been a tough day and I was in a bad mood.  I was waiting to turn left out of my neighborhood on to a busy street with no signal at rush hour.  It can be difficult to get out so you have to make your move when you get the opportunity.  I had a clear shot except for a FedEx truck coming from my left, so I was going to have to wait more.  At the last second, though, the FedEx truck turned right on to my street.  If he had just used his stupid turn signal, I could have gotten out.  People suck.  Jerk!

 

Then as I continued to wait, I noticed that the truck had stopped right next to me and the driver had gotten out.  I looked over, and he was fixing our street sign.  A few days ago I noticed that the sign with the street names at this intersection had been rotated 90 degrees so that the two street names appeared to be reversed.  The FedEx guy rotated the pole back to its correct position. 

 

He sure made me feel like a jerk.  He's exactly the kind of person I want to be sharing this world with, but I was ready to write him off as just another idiot.  There's a lesson in there somewhere - maybe, is it possible that...people don't suck?  I'll have to think about that some more.

1 comment:

  1. [...] or mean or out to get me.  Maybe they are new on the job, or hard of hearing, or are actually doing something good that I’m just not aware of.  Sure, the incompetent people are out there, but going through your life angry about how the [...]

    ReplyDelete