Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Little Thing

One surprising joy of parenting a full-day school kid is preparing lunch. I'm absolutely loving putting together Sammy's lunch each day. Because of the twins I haven't been cooking at all, but putting a little lunch together gives me a small version of that value. I enjoy trying to make Sam's lunch just a little bit different each day, and to put a fun variety of things in her lunchbox. There's a real challenge in doing this day after day, especially when my grocery shopping is a chaotic mess and the choices in the kitchen are limited.

Today, she's having half a turkey and butter sandwich (one of her favorites), a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (which she picked out at the market), a few snap pea pods with a tub of leftover ranch dressing from Popeye's Chicken (I have 2 ounce cups with lids for ranch dressing on order from Amazon but I was pleased to have figured out a way to do it in the meantime), a small plum, a leftover fortune cookie, and a container of shelf-safe milk.

Someday she'll prepare her own lunch and I'm sure I'll be relieved, but for now, I love this little way of caring for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment