Thursday, July 14, 2011

29 Weeks

If I'm too busy to blog while I'm pregnant, how am I ever going to blog once Leo and Zoe arrive?

That question is one of the many that is seriously stressing me out here at the 29 week mark. I feel like I have to get some kind of update written here, but I fear it will be mostly random thoughts. Oh well, here it goes.

We had a successful trip to OCON and to visit Adam's parents. I felt great when we arrived, but by the end I was really dragging. Adam's dad is doing as well as can be expected - he's tough. OCON was not nearly as great for me this year as it was last year. That was partially due to the content of the courses, but the fact that we had Sam with us had something to do with it as well. She spent enough time with babysitters that I was able to take a few courses, but I found that I actually enjoyed the time I spent with her and Adam, just hanging out at the beach or the pool, even more than the conference. And the babysitting situation was so fluid that it was like putting together a puzzle every day. That stressed me out. So, the trip was not one of my favorite vacations, but I'm still glad I had the chance to go, mostly for the social aspect. Finally meeting Lynne and Stephen in person was something I would not have wanted to miss! And there were other new and interesting people to talk to, and so many of my friends that I see so rarely. There were a few that I promised to catch up with at the closing banquet, but alas, Sam lost it that final night and had a meltdown of epic proportions. I ended up spending the evening with her in our hotel room, getting shoes and trash cans thrown at me and protecting myself by putting her in the closet and holding the door closed. After she calmed down I consoled myself with two desserts from room service.

Speaking of sugar, I failed my glucose tolerance screening test, which just means that I have to do another, longer test. I'm almost positive that I don't have gestational diabetes, but I'm pissed that I have to do the longer test. It means fasting for 8 hours then sitting around at a lab for 3 or 4 hours after drinking some super-sweet liquid. Oh, this is going to be torture. Not being able to eat for that long is seriously scary.

Otherwise, everything is still normal with the pregnancy. Leo and Zoe happen to both be head-down right now. I'm hoping they remain that way so I have a chance at a vaginal delivery. Today, I scheduled my "just in case" C-section for September 15. It struck me quite suddenly that that could be their birthday. And it's highly unlikely that they'll be born any later than that. That's two months and one day from now. Wow.

I'm finally starting to experience many of the difficult symptoms of pregnancy with twins. I could list off a bunch of annoying problems here, but really, nothing is so terrible. I'm tired and have some pains and it's hard to sleep. But I'm healthy and so are my babies. I'll get through it.

The home improvement projects continue. We got two bathrooms mostly finished. This week we installed recessed lighting and new lights in both of the kids' rooms. Next week work begins on the master bath, which is going to take about eight days to complete. Then we have to paint a few rooms, put everything back its place, and set up the nursery. I still have a lot of supplies to buy for the babies, but I don't want to do it too early because there is nowhere to put anything right now. We have a stroller and car seats in the living room, boxes of tile in every hallway, a toilet in the dining room, and cans of paint everywhere. It's been like this for a long time and it's really starting to get to me. I hate environmental chaos, and I really need to peace out and rest right now. Sam is going to full-day summer camp for the next two weeks starting on Monday, so I'm going to try to spend as much time as possible out of the house and away from the chaos. I need to find a place with free Wi-Fi and actually put my iPad to use for something other than Barbie movies. My new Kindle will be put to good use as well.

Well, that's all I can think of. Maybe I'll remain in my daytime clothing long enough today so that Adam can snap a photo of me when he gets home from work. But the pajamas always seem to call to me immediately after dinner. That's the one time that I do seem to do a good job at relaxing. After Sam goes to bed, I typically get right into bed and stay there until I go to sleep. Lying down is heavenly. It's almost 6pm now. Only two hours to go...


  1. We loved meeting you guys, too! And you do look amazing!

    I completely agree with you about the pleasure of the social aspects, but I felt there was something amiss compared to the last OCON we attended (2009 in Boston). I figured out my kid thing that bothered me, now I need to address the rest of it.

    Regarding gestational diabetes, I had it with Andrew, not with Katy, and two different OBs had opposing diagnoses with Victoria (they used different standards). By far the worst part of it was chugging the orange (or cola flavored) syrup and sitting around for hours while they periodically drew blood.

    Congratulations on the successful home improvement projects and rest well.

  2. Thanks, Lynne. Your kid challenges are so interesting to me. So different from the dodging of ballistic missiles that I'm used to. :)