Friday, May 14, 2010

Facebook Policies

Up until now, I've had a somewhat loose policy of not friending people on Facebook whom I don't know personally - meaning that I've not met them face-to-face.  I've made a few exceptions for bloggers and others that I feel I know pretty well electronically, but I've ignored dozens and dozens of friend requests from people whose names I know but I'm not sure why, along with plenty of people who are complete strangers.

Well, I'm changing my policy.  If I know of you electronically, tangentially, if you are a friend of a friend, or if you just read my blog, I will accept your friend request.  If I can't figure out the connection, I won't accept, so send me a message if you think I won't recognize your name.  Hit me up again, ok? 

I'm doing this primarily to promote my blog, but I've also found a few friends with similar interests by branching out on Facebook, so I figure it's worth a try.

I'm also going to change my policy on Facebook "messages."  I can't stand the messaging function in Facebook.  I'd rather just have an e-mail.  A friend of mine and I just had a big misunderstanding which was not caused, but was exacerbated by the Facebook messaging function.  That was the final straw.  Unlike Diana Hsieh, I don't have the balls to turn off the Facebook e-mail notifications completely, but I will simply respond by e-mail and expect you to do the same.  If I don't have your e-mail address in my contacts, I will reply on Facebook with, "Please contact me via e-mail."  You can find my e-mail address on my Facebook profile, or here on the blog, for that matter.

1 comment:

  1. I've been finding lately that, among regular FB users, email can be less reliable than FB messaging. People put email addresses in their FB profiles and forget to change them when they expire or become dormant, or simply put less effort into answering emails than FB messages. FB messaging still has its annoying pitfalls, but sometimes it seems like the only way to reach someone.

    ReplyDelete