Monday, November 10, 2008

Diaper Genie

I've been so busy lately I've been falling down on my homemaker duties.  More than once, we've run out of something essential.

Yesterday it was the Diaper Genie refill bags.  Never, ever, since Sam was born, have I not had an extra ring of bags.  One poopy diaper was enough to send me to the store this morning before just about everything else on my to do list.

I know some people consider a diaper disposal system to be a luxury, but, come on.  Skip one meal out at a restaurant and you've paid for the diaper pail and refills for a year, at least.

I have the Diaper Genie II.  The only thing I don't like about it is that, in order to get the diaper past the spring-tight opening, you have to push pretty hard.  Although it has never happened to me, sometimes the pressure threatens to explode the diaper.  At least, in my imagination it's possible.  Also, your hand usually has to touch the top of the plastic bag, and I'm never quite sure if it is totally clean.  But both of those complaints can be chalked up to my poo-paranoia, so take them for what they are worth.

3 comments:

  1. In the next month and a half, :) we're going to start using our second Diaper Champ. This one has some design changes from the last one we used -- we'll see if it is better or worse.

    The only comparison I'm qualified to make is that the champ lets you use normal garbage bags -- pretty unlikely to ever run out.

    I suspect based on general design that the genie may have better odor control, but I've never had a side-by-side smell-off.

    rootie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tossed the special diaper disposal units to the curb. I was really tired of the specialized equipment and the snake of dirty diapers. I now recycle my grocery bags as diaper containers and it seems to work well enough for me. Though I wouldn't dream of asking someone who is baby-free to give it the sniff test. We also change out the trash fairly frequently. Toddler diapers are a bit of a different animal from baby diapers though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam's diapers are so bad right now that you can remove them from the premises completely and still walk in the front door 10 minutes later and think the cat went on a poop-all-over-the-house-vendetta. Actually, I think it might be the Halloween candy because it's gotten better since she stopped eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete