Friday, October 10, 2008

Champagne Grapes

GrapesI'm still sick, so I'll continue with my recommendations to close out the week.  This is a true Little Thing: champagne grapes, aka Black Corinth grapes.  My supermarket carries them and I've been tempted to try them all summer, but only bought some last week.  They are tiny little packages of nectar.  So sweet and delicate.  Their tiny size enhances the experience of eating them because you don't chew them at all, you just kind of pop them open with your tongue and they explode with goodness.  They're like natural Pop Rocks.

Samantha loves grapes and before I trusted her chewing abilities, I spent many hours cutting and tearing up grapes into baby size pieces.  I'm pretty sure these champagne grapes would have been safe for her before she was a year old.  I wish I had known about them then.

It turns out that these are the grapes they use to make currants, the little tiny raisins.  Since regular raisins are also a choking hazard, I've been giving Sam currants instead.  We call them baby raisins and she loves them.  (I should have deduced that the existence of baby raisins meant there existed baby grapes too.)  The currants are great for salads and also in recipes that call for raisins when you want a finer distribution of the sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I bought some champagne grapes today, because of your recommendation. AWESOME! They were very delicious, and my 3.5 year old scarfed down about a million of them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete