Sunday, May 11, 2008

Things You Can Rely On

Real Simple magazine's January, 2008 issue was devoted to "218 best buys," which, since they do a "best products" section every issue, is the magazine equivalent of the TV sitcom "flashback" episode - it's just a rerun in disguise.  Still, I like the magazine and the editor's note framed the issue in a more interesting way:  a list of the most reliable products and services.  I can't resist indulging in my own list.

 

  • Hotel chain: Hampton Inn.  I love staying at a Hampton Inn - they get all the details right, from the super-comfy bed to the curved shower curtain rod.  They actually sell the products they use in their rooms and I plan to buy it all!

  • Fast food joint:  In-N-Out Burger.  I'm never disappointed by a Double-Double, but I'm often disappointed when there is no In-N-Out nearby.  (They're only in 4 states:  California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah.  Try one if you're in the neighborhood.)  Runner up:  McDonald's.  After all, Ray Kroc was the innovator of reliability in fast food.

  • Beauty products:  Noxzema and Curel.  Noxzema is the only product that keeps the acne at bay for me.  I've used it consistently for at least 15 years.  And every time I get bored with Curel and buy another brand of lotion I regret it. 

  • Clothing store:  Talbot's Petites is my go-to store for just about everything.  I find that about 1 in 5 pieces actually fit me at Talbot's, which is twice as good as most other stores.  And no matter what the latest ugly fashion craze is, I can find at least one thing I want to buy every time I enter the store.  I wish I could find a shoe store that works as well for me.

  • General/discount store:  Target.  The best thing about Target is their excellent discrimination in product selection.  I can depend on the fact that, if I bought it at Target, it's a good value for the money. 

  • Book:  The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand.  I've read it about a dozen times and every time I'm freshly amazed at the beauty of this novel.

  • Cookbook:  The Joy of Cooking.  I don't know how I'd get along without it.  The basic cooking methods for just about every kind of food are indispensable.  All the recipes work.

  • Food:  Kraft Original Macaroni and Cheese.  Remember, this is a list of the most reliable things, not necessarily the best things.  Have you ever made up a batch of this stuff and been disappointed?

  • Drink:  Coca-Cola.  This one is reliable, and the very best.   

No comments:

Post a Comment