Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Struck by Lightning


View Larger Map

I don't think much about the two thousand, nine hundred and seventy-six people who died that day.

I don't think much about my loss of freedoms.

I don't think much about whether I'm safe from terrorism.

I don't even think much anymore about what we could have and should have done in response.

I think about those buildings.  I think about the greatness of the human species and, in particular, the greatness of this country that they represented.  They are gone forever and their loss is not purely symbolic.  I'm still in shock.  If you've ever read Atlas Shrugged you'll know what I mean when I say the Twin Towers are my own, real-world version of Eddie Willer's oak tree.

I think about those buildings.  They symbolized life, freedom, security, and moral certainty.  I don't need to think about anything else to remember what that day meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment